Questions have surfaced for a week now. Who is Sarah Palin and why in the world would John McCain choose her as a running mate?
Well, the answer became crystal clear as I watched TV last night and a skit appeared from on TV Land. The real pick for the Republican VP Nomination was to be MICHAEL Palin. But, because of a series of unfortunate miscommunications, McCain thought they were talking about SARAH Palin.
Let’s look at the evidence:
1. Michael Edward Palin, was born May 5, 1943 and has actually traveled abroad. He is best known for being one of the members of the comedy group, Monty Python. In fact, one of his most famous portion of the show was his travel documentaries. After Python, he began a new career as a travel writer. His journeys have taken him across the world, the North and South Poles, the Sahara desert, the Himalayas and most recently, Eastern Europe.
2. Another necessary VP qualification is the ability to work with others. Before Monty Python, Michael Palin worked on other shows such as The Ken Dodd Show, The Frost Report and Do Not Adjust Your Set. If you have never worked with other funny people, you will not understand how difficult this can be.
3. Mr. Palin is, of course, a familiar figure from some of his sketches, including “The Dead Parrot”, “The Lumberjack Song”, and “Spam”. Unlike a state Governor trapped outside the contiguous states, Mr. Palin wasn’t confined to Television. He has also appeared in several Monty Python film and made notable appearances in other films such as A Fish Called Wanda, for which he won the BAFTA Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. He brings that “famous” quality the Republican Ticket was so desperately looking for.
4. Mr. Palin’s polling numbers are impressive as well. In a 2005 poll to find The Comedian’s Comedian, he was voted the 30th favourite by fellow comedians and comedy insiders.
5. As a potential Commander-In-Chief, Mr. Palin would be an excellent choice. He has executive-level experience that could really pay off in a few years. In fact, in 2000 Palin became a Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his services to television. That is no small task.
So, if you add up the evidence, it is clear that this was a simple mistake that can easily be rectified. While I have no intention on voting for Mr. McCain or either Palin candidate, I would hope that the Republican ticket can own up to this simple mistake. How can McCain be expected to make difficult presidential decisions if he cannot even get the name right for his VP candidate.